Sunday, July 5, 2009

No Sip Sirwhat

Can you stand just 1 more work story? I am pulling this one out of the vault and then closing the doors for awhile. This is a classic work story I have told many times.
Years ago, when I was working at the outpatient clinic at the Hospital, I had a 4 yr old that came for therapy 3 times a week. If you know anything about therapy, you know that 3 times a week is a lot and that must mean this child's speech was REALLY delayed. He was basically unintelligible. One day, as we sat at the table, I stated something that was obvious and without even looking up, he said "No Sip, Sirwhat", to which I replied "what?". Again, he shrugged his shoulders and said "No Sip, Sirwhat". My mind instantly began to run thru the sounds this child could not say- sh, l, k. I then realized exactly what this child was telling me.
The kid's mom and brother just happened to be listening and watching thru the observation window. When I realized what he had said, I asked "where did you learn that", to which he replied "my brother".
Remember the scene in Christmas Story, when you can hear the mom on the phone, beating her son b/c he had taught Ralphie a bad word? That scene played itself out on the other side of the window. Big Brother was in Big Trouble. I could hear him trying to defend himself, but it was of no use. He was caught.
No Sip Sirwhat has become a common phrase in our house. The girls don't even know what it means or where it came from but it is a staple of our household vocabulary.
So leave a comment and let me know something so obvious, it will leave me shaking my head, saying No Sip Sirwhat.

4 comments:

Jin said...

It took me awhile!

(I love the work stories)

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS! I love it! -- Kim P.

Anonymous said...

Here is a quick story. Picture me sitting at my table for therapy at work. Behind me is by whiteboard which I sometimes display my special kiddos artwork. On the whiteboard I have a beautifully colored picture of Hello Kitty which one of my sweethearts had given to me.

A few days later I bring in a little kindergartener (who is known for an occasionaly bad word) and he is sitting in front of me facing the direction of the Hello Kitty picture behind me. He says t/k and d/g etc. While working on sounds within a group he loudly announces "Hey I see a Titty!" all the other kiddos stop and stare at him. I nearly freak thinking no he didn't just say that!!! In my speech therpist/teacher voice I say "excuse me?". He points to the picture behind me of Hello Kitty and says "See I see a titty!" I proceeded with therapy and said "Yes you see a KKKKKITTY!"

Needless to say Hello Kitty picture was taken down. Hope that gives you a laugh. I love reading your stories!

Shawna :0)

amyaj said...

That makes me think of all the times we'd get Mem to talk about dumptrucks - though he would drop the p and substitute f for tr... It was also fun for him to talk about trash (s for sh)trucks, and once he screamed as a particularly noisy truck rolled by - though of course in that surprising moment of quiet that follows the absence of something unusually loud - "That was a LOUD /f/-UCK!" So, see, he knew The King (without really knowing it) long before the balloon incident!