Friday, January 22, 2010

Bringin' Home the Bacon...

I've been providing in-home speech therapy for about 6 years. I often purchase or donate items for the families I work with. But in some cases, I end up leaving with items that have been given to me. Scott is no longer surprised to see what I am carrying when I walk through the door at the end of the day. Of course, I am often given treats while I'm there. Sometimes cookies... a piece of cake now and then...today I had some monkey bread made from biscuit dough. Once a week or so, I purchase fresh eggs from one family. They have tried to turn me on to raw milk and homemade butter...but I hesitate. Several years ago, I stepped in a large pile of dog poo at a home and when I arrived at the next home, I left my shoes on the doorstep. The Mom felt so sorry for me, she gave me a pair of shoes to wear home. I've been given clothes that were no longer wanted, picture frames, gloves, candles, air fresheners, books, toys...the list goes on and on. Scott has banned me from bringing home any more live animals...I have brought home cats, puppies and even a turtle.
This week I received a skillet. What dialogue led up to me leaving with a skillet? I had offered to make a dog bed for my friend B., who has a child that I provide services for. I recently got a sewing machine (that's another blog post coming soon). I am trying to practice my stitches so I thought I could easily sew a dog bed for her 2lb dog named Peanut. B. offered to pay me but I refused to accept so she comes out of the kitchen carrying a gigantic skillet, complete with glass lid. B. does not keep anything in her home that is not required for survival so she wanted me to have this skillet since she has 2 of them. So I bartered a dog bed for a skillet. Scott was thrilled! He loves skillets. I think it makes him feel like a real man to have a big skillet.
I have learned over the years to accept these gifts graciously. When someone comes to your home every week for 3 years to play with your kid, saying Thank You is not always enough. What's more important is giving someone a skillet to fry up the bacon they bring home.
And that's all the thanks I need.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I can so relate.

Rotorhead said...

A large, heavy, machined steel or cast-iron skillet is to a manly kitchen what a quality table saw is the the workshop - a tool that once mastered can be used to make so many things. Big, heavy, dangerous in unskilled hands. Man like.
-RH

Anonymous said...

Love the story! My favorite speech tx visits were with a sweet kiddo who lived with his grandmother. His grandmother happened to work at a local ice cream factory. I loved getting ice cream from her because it was always the expensive ice cream treats that I normally don't spend money on at the grocery store!!!!

I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well and doc reported great news!

Shawna