Friday, March 12, 2010

Lenton promises...

My friend Amy F. made a Lenten promise to stop drinking soda. Days after this promise was made, she gave in and bought a 44 oz soda at the gas station, placed it in her van's cupholder, turned a corner and the entire soda spilled out. I laughed and laughed at the irony. My Lenten promise was to give up ugly words. I don't need to give up soda since I only allow myself one a week anyway. I don't need to give up fast food b/c I hate fast food...with the exception of 1 "junk" food I can't live without...Casey's pizza. If you have not had Casey's pizza, you have not had pizza. Unfortunately, the stars have to align in order to get a slice b/c 2 things have to happen- you have to be near a Casey's gas station during regular lunch hours. Tuesday, the stars aligned quite nicely and I bought a slice of pizza and a 32 oz soda. As I am unlocking my car, the lid pops off the cup, soda spills on my shirt and I dropped my pizza on the ground. My Lenten vow to eliminate ugly words was immediately broken. Luckily, Casey's pizza comes in a nice little plastic triangular shaped sleeve, so just a smidgen of my pizza touched the ground and I was definitely going for the 5 sec rule. The spot on my shirt was the size of a half dollar but within 10 min, it had morphed into the size of a...well, personal pan pizza. Five miles down the road I dropped a piece of sausage on my shirt so I once again broke my Lenton vow to eliminate ugly words. By the time I reached my destination, my shirt had a large brown circle with bits of red sauce stuck right in the middle.
Is there a point to my story? Not really. But is is worth noting that spilling your soda can be the result of a broken Lenten vow or it may actually cause you to break your vow.
Next year, I'm giving up lunch behind the wheel.
Michele

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a 44oz cup of karma.. but can you believe in karma and lent... that's it.. I'm giving up Karma!

Have a great weekend.
Kim

PS..I put Emily's check in the mail this evening. I kept forgetting my checkbook since I only write three a month...

Anonymous said...

Michele you are so funny. I coud so see that happening to me and i would have definetly picked up the Pizza! I will have to find a Casey's, i have never had their pizza, Looking forward to you being here in a couple weeks. Donna

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should go ahead and give up lunch behind the wheel now...

Amy H

Anonymous said...

I can still smell that 44 oz of cool, refreshing, sugary, not-made-for-my-diabetic-body, coca-cola....because I still haven't cleaned it off the van floor! I was just thinking the other day, as I was looking for a non-stained-from-eating-lunch-in-the-van-shirt that it's ridiculous that I don't give myself time to sit down for 20 minutes and enjoy lunch. Sounds like we both need to rethink this one! -Amy F

Linda said...

I love the imagery. Glad to see you writing!

Anonymous said...

You surely have a new "I did NOT" story by now! I am dying for some Michele humor! :)Amy H