Monday, April 7, 2008

It takes a village...

It takes a village to raise a child, but I can now say it takes a village to take care of ME. I have found myself asking for help with tasks that a preschooler could do. This weekend I could NOT get my jeans buttoned, I tried and tried but it wouldn't work. So I asked Megan and she couldn't button them b/c and I quote "Mom, I know you've lost some belly fat, but you still have some leftover". Yesterday at a birthday party I couldn't open a bottle of juice that had the foil lid. Thanks, Tom B, for helping me out. I also cannot open ice cream containers (life is rough, isn't it!). The list goes on and on. So today I break out the sandals for the first time this year. I quickly learned how hard it is to walk in sandals when you have no sensation. Nearly impossible. I thought the chemo shuffle was bad, but that was in sneakers. This is almost comical. I look like I'm drunk- or I'm a really bad hiphop dancer. I have also discovered that I can actually lose a shoe off my foot and not even know it! I look down and oops, what happened to my shoe. I am not kidding, folks. That happened at the office one day. I sat down at the computer and thought, hmmm, I am only wearing one shoe. There it sat, by the door, all alone and feeling quite lost. So anyway, back to the sandals. Imagine if you will, if sandals are hard to walk in, how difficult are they to drive in? Well, if you were on Kingshighway at 7:30 this morning, I am sure you witnessed it. I swear I looked like Jan Brady trying to learn how to drive- hitting the brakes too hard, speeding up, jerking around. Megan and I needed a neck brace after the wild ride we had. I won't go into details about how fun it was to drive down I-55 to Benton...
Gotta go, time to get back in the car and practice my dance moves!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michele,

Need some OT? LOL!!!

Angie L.

Anonymous said...

Michele,
Carley and I appreciate your continued updates. I can't imagine what that feels like. I go insane if my foot falls asleep. I feel like such a total whiner when I read your blog. Carley would say I experience some of those things without the side affects to blame it on. I hope your week gets better. Mondays are a means to an end (FRIDAYS). Keep your chin up and your shoes on!

Kim and Carley

Anonymous said...

I'll be sure to dodge the other way when I see you coming! - Amy H.

Unknown said...

You make me laugh so hard sometimes, I love your blog it puts a little comedy into this world of dealing with cancer and side effects. You may have to do like I did, I couldn't tie my tennis shoes for awhile so I bought some with velcro!!! I wonder if they make velcro flipflops? Keep us updated on where you are driving at so we can keep our eyes open for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Be sure to let me know what you schedule is so I may either 1) have on body pads or 2 route my way around.
seriously, you have a wonderful sense of humor b/c I am not sure I would be smiling.
Its ok to have some belly fat let over, its when the belly fat is more then the top part that needs concideration.
lol
twylia

Anonymous said...

HI MICHELE,
SORRY I HAVE NOT POSTED IN AWHILE AND I AM MORE SORRY I MISSED YOU PARTY! I TOO AM ALSO HAVING GALLBALDDER PROBLEMS! I AM GLAD YOU ARE DOING WELL BESIDES THE NEUROPATHY. I STILL REALLY ENJOY READING YOUR BLOGS, AND I LOVE KEEPING UP ON BABY DECLAN. TAKE CARE!
AMY HAERTLING