Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dr. G

I went to Siteman today and I met my new oncologist, Dr. Wang-Gillam. Since her name is a mouthful and no one in her office shortens it, I will refer to her as Dr. G. We were very impressed with her. She is soft-spoken and she's a very good listener. She is also very young! We talked about things that Dr. Lilly never brought up so I feel like I'm in good hands. She is going to run all the tests that will tell me if I'm still NED, plus some others. She took a lot of blood. My platelets are very low. They should be about 140,000 but they are only 79,000. This level is apparently referred to as "don't play with knives". We are going to have it rechecked in a couple of weeks to look for any patterns or changes. I had an MRI today d/t the memory loss I am having. I am also being referred to a neurologist and possibly a neuropsych eval to look further into this. I am going to have a CT scan of my abdomen next Friday to check my liver. Eventually I will see a geneticist to determine whether my colon cancer is inherited. All the nurses were so nice, I really like that place. I think many of them were surprised at my laughing and joking around, I guess they were expecting tears or something. No tears today! Scott and I were joking around a lot about the case of the disappearing oncologist and before I checked out, the secretary said very seriously "I'll let you know if Dr. Wang-Gillam disappears". Ahhh, someone finally shares my sense of humor.
I did hit a 7 on the tear scale yesterday. Monday afternoon when I arrived home from work, Aunt Flo's baggage was sitting on my doorstep. She brought extra baggage with her this time and each bag was labeled: Tears, Anger, Tantrums, Ugly Words, Short Temper, Irrational Behavior. Yesterday, I sorted through every one of those bags. Just ask Kasey- she got to watch me sort through several of them! God love her, she justs keeps coming back to this zoo, despite everything.
Thanks for listening!
Love,
Michele

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK - I just got a visual of you tossing around knives like those people in the circus. HA HA. I'm glad you liked the new doc. I hope you are feeling better & can have a HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY on Wednesday! I'll see you when I get back from the Windy City :)

Pam A.

Kasey said...

I'm so glad that Dr. G payed attention to all your concerns and maybe they can tell you whats going on with all the memory loss. You think your house is a zoo? YOu forget who your talking to. You haven't seen my house. :D Love ya bunches!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you found your way to Dr. G. I will be praying you!

Linda

vman1300 said...

Hey...put that knife down. I just read your post at the CC. I am serious...if you just need to talk....you have my number. Continued prayers being sent for you my friend.

Believe,

Kevin

Anonymous said...

"Aunt Flo's Baggage" I needed those words! Thanks for giving a voice to how I seem to be feeling for 2-3 weeks some cycles! I'm sending the hubby to read this one...

Amy H