Monday, July 21, 2008

GOOD NEWS- This stress is killing me!

Friday morning I got a call that my MRI had 2 spots on it and we were given an appt to see a neurologist today at Barnes. So we went today and it turns out the spots are nothing, they look like migraines, which I never have, but anyway, no worries about those. Well, what about these symptoms I am having, memory loss and confusion. He talked to me for a long time about all the anxiety I feel from having cancer, worrying it's coming back, and some other stressors in my life that cause me to have a lot of anxiety. I am very prone to anxiety anyway but of course it has gotten worse this past year. It has also gotten worse as my one year anniversary approaches. He said all my symptoms are caused from high levels of anxiety and my Lexapro dose is way too small. He said anxiety actually changes the chemistry in the brain. So for us, this was the best news we could have heard b/c my concerns were legitimate but fixable. I am going back in 1 month so we can talk about whether things have improved.
I wanted to tell an Emily story real quick. Saturday I had her all by myself all day and I desperately needed a pedicure. DESPERATELY. I had a party to go to Saturday night, a real date night with Scott. I read in a parenting magazine once that in an emergency, it's ok to bribe your children with a toy. So I decided this qualified as a bona fide emergency. So I told Emily if she would go to the salon with me and be really good I would buy her a toy. I know it was a crazy idea and I refused to consider the age old question "what's the worst that could happen". So we pull in the parking lot and I say Hey do you want your toes painted? Oh, no Mommy that would tickle (she hates to have her toes painted). When we walked in and she saw all those colors, she changed her mind! She picked out a hot pink color and sat like a big girl and charmed the entire store while she got her toes done. It also helped that Animal Planet was playing on the big screen TV. And I had snacks. And a toy at Target was just waiting for a home. I offered to take her to lunch anywhere and she chose Fish Sticks at home! Wow, easy to please. So she got her toy and her fish sticks and she is so proud of her pink nails. She couldn't wait to show them to Kasey today. Oh, if you are wondering what color I chose, I picked Blood Platelet Red in hopes it would be good karma for my platelet counts that really need to go up.

9 comments:

Kasey said...

So glad you're getting to the bottom of all the problems you've been having. Today at swimming Em didn't even want to take off her shoes or get in the water for fear of scratching her nails. Jessi and I got a kick out of it.

aesparks said...

Michele,
I am so happy you got some answers today that can be addressed pretty easily! Hang in there! Can you believe we are going to have BIG kindergarteners soon?! In some ways it seems like yesterday I was telling you my big news about Noah being on the way while you were home trying to hold off Emily coming too soon---Yet in other ways it seems sooooo LONG ago! Take care and just remember I am still praying for you!
Amy

Anonymous said...

It is good to hear that the MRI results were nothing troubling. Hopefully you can manage your stress and anxiety and get your memory back on track.

Platelets are more of a "blush" color...pinkish or salmony...definitely not red. Blood components are like wine....red, white, blush, and I guess plasma could be sparkling water....

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to get your text today! I kept looking at my clock all morning until I heard the good news. I had to hesitate because I wasn't sure having high anxiety was something to cheer about but I think it this case it deserves a party!

Linda

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the good news. I have been wondering all day. I'm off to Chicago. Have a great week and a Happy Birthday.
Pam A.

vman1300 said...

We are both so glad that they are nothing. I know how difficult stress can be...but remember god is in control...ALL the time.

Believe,

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Michele,
Wow, I didn't realize how far behind I was on your blog. I'm glad you found a new doctor and that you like her (as much as anyone can "like" a doctor. The MRI results are GREAT news!!!!! I want to know what you do to cure the stress thing. I want to be sure and wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I'm afraid I will forget tomorrow. What a year you had!! You continue to amaze me with your ability to turn what would put me in the fetal position into something positive. Carley and I can't wait to meet you in person and are looking forward to your coming to town!!!!!! So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY and We will SEE you Soon!!!!!!

Kim and Carley

Kim and Carley

1UP RPG said...

I'm glad you got good news...(like others have said, in this case, stress is good news.) I hope the anxiety can be lessened with the meds.
Also, I wanted to let you know I thought of you the other day...I had an appt with my OBGYN and had to wait a long time in the gown in the exam room and I decided to check out the pamphlets...I almost laughed out loud...you are so RIGHT! "oh, let me look thoughtful here on the beach in my big turtleneck sweater that comes over my wrists...I'll put my face on fist, smile and think about Chronic Pelvic Pain." "I'll pause to consider birth defects right before I get on my bike." :)
Brooke

Anonymous said...

Please don't say that bribing your kids with a toy makes you a bad parent, since I do it at least monthly! My kids are surviving and are relatively kind, well-adjusted children... Mom took me and Caroline to get our nails done this week. She too chose hot pink but added a topcoat of purple glitter... She rocks! Amy