Monday, July 14, 2008

New Doctor

Congratulations to my friend Christy, who burst into my office last week and declared "I have a clean colon!". You Go Girl!

Today I received a call from Siteman Cancer Institute in St. Louis. They want me to meet my new oncologist on Thursday! Her name is Dr. Andrea Wang-Gillam. So we are scrambling to figure out how to clear our schedules and make sure the kids are taken care of. We won't be home until late.
Here is a nice little visual of my new doc:
http://www.siteman.wustl.edu/DoctorProfile.aspx?Type=Patient&memid=2108

The "On this date...July 26 2007" entry will be lengthy so I will add some info tonight about how I was feeling as that day approached. My symptoms continued to worsen. Besides the broken plumbing, I also had lower back pain, lots of stomachaches and excessive bloating. I was eating very little. My birthday is July 23rd and Scott offered to take me out to eat. Now if you know me, you know I never turn down dinner, alone with my hubby, restaurant of my choice. But that's what I did. I remember just brushing it off, oh, what's the big deal about a birthday, why celebrate, why spend the money, etc. Reality was, I knew I could not eat a meal without breaking a pipe somewhere. You know that Vesicare commercial, where the people are all made of pipes and they keep springing a leak. I wasn't scared of springing a leak, I was worried about bursting a pipe. I can't begin to explain the stress I felt. It was like nothing I have ever experienced before or since. I was scared of what was wrong, angry that it was such a ridiculous problem and I just felt sick, sick, sick. I tried several times to broach the subject with Scott, maybe ease my way into the inevitable conversation I knew we would have if this didn't go away. But I couldn't bring it further than "my stomach sure hurts a lot lately" or "I just don't have much of an appetite anymore". Sometimes I would get a nagging feeling that I was writing the preamble to the problem. In other words, when I find out what's wrong, we'll look back and say "remember when". My emotional state continued to worsen. My mom mentioned she was worried about me. Scott didn't know what to do, other than give me frequent breaks from the girls and allow me some alone time to deal with whatever was bothering me. My emotional state was so bad, he did not pay attention to the hints I was giving about the physical symptoms. Of course, I don't blame him. It was my responsibility to tell him what was really wrong.

...just got interrupted by something...I said "Emily come look at this mess you made on the floor", she yells back "I DID look at it Mommy". I guess I asked for that one.

Anyway, I will stop now. Thanks for continuing to read my blog. I can't remember if I mentioned that I am going to get it published by an online company. I hope you are not rolling your eyes b/c I said that 3 times already...

Love,

Michele



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Siteman Cancer Institute is wonderful! I have went through so much with them and I completely trust them. I still drive up there every year to get my mammmogram there (as well as see my oncologost) even though I know I can get a mammogram closer to home. They are my security blanket - I hope you have as much positive experiences with them too. It is such a big building devoted to such a important thing. It is in the top 10 in the nation. Sorry for all of the info- but I always want to give such positive feedback when I hear someone will be visiting there!!!

Many Blessings,
Shawna

Anonymous said...

Glad to see your update...I check it at least once a day. So happy to hear about your appointment. I wish I could go with you or at least take the girls.

Linda

Anonymous said...

OMG! What an adventure this has been. Published Brooke will love it.
have a great day.
call later.
twylia