Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Goodbye Lillyhammer

My beloved Dr. Lilly is gone. Don't know where, don't know why, don't know anything except it's a big secret, very hush-hush at the hospital. I am devastated. I am angry. I want him back. I just want to know if he's ok. The hospital is calling it an unexpected medical leave of absence. But yet he's not coming back so it's not really a leave of absence. See what I mean by "big secret"? It's hard to explain the relationship you form with an oncologist. I feel like the decisions he made have saved my life. He was there to hold my hand through all my tears (and there were many). He was my lifeline and my hope for the future. I told the nurse yesterday that I had pinned all my hopes of survival on him so it's hard to accept that he's gone. Especially when I didn't even get to say goodbye. So now I am left without an oncologist. When I saw the nurse yesterday, she kept saying she was worried that I would not follow up on treatment. I told her I had a husband who would not let that happen. But now I am thinking how easy it would be to forget the whole thing ever happened, never go back for tests and just go on with life. If Lilly can disappear, why can't I.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it will be hard after you have built that bond and relationship with a doctor but I can start you off with three reasons why you need to find a new doctor to go back and get your check-ups, follow-up treatment, etc...1 - MEGAN, 2 - EMILY, 3 - SCOTT...Take care of yourself!
~Tammy Allee

Anonymous said...

I really am sad for the loss of your doctor. It is so easy to get attached to a doctor. I feel bad that you can't say goodbye. I at least got to say goodbye to Declan's doctor and know where he is. I hope you find out what happened.

Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

What a mystery! You'll have to go all "Nancy Drew" and figure out the story. Hopefully it has a happy ending. Maybe he and his wife retired to the Carribean and don't want everyone to know! :) Amy H

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am with Tammy on this one , Three reasons to follow up are Megan , Emily and Scott. I am so sorry for no goodbye, it is hard when you cannot say goodbye, but I am sure many times you said Thanks for your help , even through your eyes, he knows you appriciated him. Allow yourself to grieve, then pick yourself up and dust it off and do what i know you can do and thats move on. I say this with love.
love ya,
twylia