Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Happy Birthday Megan!

Dear Megan,

Today you are 10 years old! Wow! It's been a fun 10 years! You know the joke by now. Every year I tell you that this is it, this is my favorite age, it can't get any better. Then the next year rolls around and I swear this is it, the best year ever. In other words, it just keeps getting better. You have been nothing but pure joy since the day you were born. Today I have spent a lot of time thinking of what it is that makes you special. Because you are so very very special. Sometimes it takes my breath away when I look at you and think "I created this amazing Child of God". How lucky I am to be your parent. How blessed I am to have you as my daughter.
I know I've made a lot of mistakes as your Mom. I mean, let's face it, the first thing I said when I saw you was "Oh my gosh, what's wrong with her lip!". Sorry about that, your lip was fine and of course, you were beautiful.
Now let's talk about that stubborn nature of yours. It defies all principles of nature. I knew we were in trouble when you were just a day old and you were already beating your fists on my chest, refusing to nurse; then after 3 days of this, when the lactation nurse said Give it up, she's not gonna do it, just give her a bottle. I knew then you would have strong ideas about what you want and don't want.
Your gift of words takes my breath away. Sometimes I hear you talking and I wonder how I could have created a child this brilliant. And I'm truly sorry that your dad and I were unable to give you the part of the brain that calculates algebraic equations; it's missing from our brain too.
My proudest moments are when I see you swim. You have worked so hard to be the best you can be and that's what makes me so proud! You don't know this, but sometimes I sneak in your room and just look at all the ribbons and medals you have won and I know you have given it your all and that's what I love about you. You never give up. When you went to the swimathon and were told to swim 4 miles but you swam 6 for good measure, I just couldn't believe your tenacity. And I'm sorry I made you stop for a picture, that was Mistake #873432 in the decade I've been a parent. I'm just so proud of all you do!
Do you know how proud I am that you have such a strong faith in God? I am so glad we are able to give you a Catholic education. When Declan passed away, you were so at peace with it because you knew where he was. You do not doubt your beliefs and you live your life as God intends you to. It meant so much to me that you insisted on sitting down with me last week to teach me a refresher course on saying the Rosary so that I would be prepared when I went to the retreat.
Someday when you become a Mom, you will understand the great love a Mother has for her child. It will be at that moment that you will say Oh, now I get it. For now, hang in there and understand that I am doing the best I can as your Mom.
I love you Megan, I love you all the way to the moon and back.
Love,
Mom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to update the girls' ages on the profile...

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, congratulations you made me cry.
Megan,
You are a wonderful girl, keep up the good work Michele and Scott.
I am so proud of all of you.
twylia

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! MEGAN HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! I'm so sorry I forgot. I didnt think it was until the 29th. I LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU!! Hope you had a great birthday!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am searching for a kleenex...so sweet!

Linda