Friday, October 17, 2008

Update

Lots to talk about tonight. I wanted to catch you up to date on how I am doing physically. My platelet counts are still not where they should be, even after 8 months post-chemo. So Dr. G sent me to a hematologist this week. Long story short, this doctor is so important, his patients rarely actually see him. He tells the nurse practitioner what to tell us. So we saw her this week. She was really nice and explained that after reviewing my blood and bone marrow, they can't figure out why my platelets are not back up so let's take more blood and look at more things. Those results came back today and they are normal. So they are concluding...nothing. No explanation. I have a colonoscopy scheduled Nov 6 and after that I plan to have my port removed.
I am having a lot of survivor guilt lately b/c 2 of my friends are not doing well. Sandy and Kevin are in the fight of their lives right now. My heart just breaks for both of them. They both started chemo about the same time I did and they are still receiving it. I cannot imagine what that is like. I remember how hard it was for me to count up to 11 treatments. I cannot imagine 14 months of that stuff.
I am packing my suitcase tonight in preparation for a TEC weekend (Teens Encounter Christ). I was asked by someone at church to help lead the group this year. It is a weekend retreat for high school students. I will be spending the weekend with 16 girls from Notre Dame. I will be presenting a speech about my cancer experience. Even though I know it will be a good experience, it's hard for me to leave the girls for any length of time. I won't be back until Monday evening.
I hope you have a great weekend. I won't be able to use the computer or my cell phone until I get back.
Talk soon!
Love,
Michele

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your weekend is fun! Thanks for the update.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, hope your weekend was fun.
try not to have suvivors guilt because even though i don't know Kevin and Sandy I am sure they wish you well. My prayers are with them.
twylia