Sunday, May 3, 2009

Ask Me Anything

Here are some responses to "Ask Me Anything".
(I don't really have a blog feature titled Ask Me Anything, I just made that up.)
Many of you asked for more info about what Megan is going to be doing. She is now an official Jr. Reporter for the local newspaper. She went to a training last week and received her first story assignment. She will be writing a news story every month and it will appear in the newspaper. The pic I took was her badge. Her first assignment? Squarefoot gardening. Now, look up at the title of my blog, where it states that my blog landscape contains "occasionally bragging about my children". Now I can tell you that they gave her the hardest story assignment b/c she was the most vocal in the class, asking the most q's, etc.

Now onto my health. I am doing great! My platelet counts are climbing up slowly. My hematologist said I will not need a repeat bone marrow biopsy. My next CT scans are scheduled for Aug 27th. I am nervous already. Really nervous. I try not to think of it too often and since I still have short term memory loss, remembering is not a problem.

I am often asked whether my feet are still numb. Yes, they are. I am trying to believe that the numbness serves as a reminder of my cancer journey. Not that I could forget but you get the point.

I did have to return to the house in the middle of nowhere. I was happy that the road construction was completed and I could make it without trouble. I did notice about a half mile down the final gravel road that the fields were flooded and there was a small stream of water running over the road. I was so thankful I could easily cross. Imagine my surprise when, an hour later, I am bumping along the gravel road and I realize the road ahead is flooded. My first thought is I'm trapped. I'm gonna have to spend the night with people who butcher chickens, can their own lard and make their own cheese. Not that there's anything wrong with that. There's really not. But I didn't want to be a part of it. I was terrified b/c the only other way out was through one of those low-water bridges. So I drove back the other way and said many prayers that I could cross. My criteria for crossing a low water bridge is that I have to be able to see the bottom of the bridge. And there can't be any water rushing over it. Standing water is fine, rushing water is not.
I got lucky. Even though there was water on the bridge, I could see the bottom and the water was sloooowly moving across it. I made it.
No canned lard for dinner tonight.
Thank you Jesus.

4 comments:

amyaj said...

Just thinking of canned lard makes my stomach hurt...

Way to go Megs!

Anonymous said...

I still think Megan could have a blog like yours. Like mother like daughter with the abilty to keep people's attention and make us laugh. It is truly a gift. I should know... I dont have it. haha
Donna

Anonymous said...

Megs, I am so proud of you! way to go girl.
thinking of canned lard makes my butt feel even bigger. no no no i have to think of olive oil.
twylia

Linda said...

I think you do need an official Ask Me post.

What color nail polish will you be sporting this summer? I am guessing colonoscopy red is in the trash! :)