Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Australia

There are 2 kinds of bad days. Some days are just BAD, like the day I found out I had cancer. Other days are what I call Alexander Days. If you've read the book to your children, you know about a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

Today was one of those days.
I'll skip the part about how horrible our morning was. That was just the part that laid the foundation for the rest of my day. I can tell you that I called my friend Pam to tell her I was on the podium, ready to accept my "Worst Parent Award".

I had a 45 min drive to my first home visit. The location of this home gives new meaning to the term "middle of nowhere". A mere 5 min before I reach this place, I approach a Road Closed sign.

It's funny how, in desperation to get somewhere you need to be, you will find yourself staring at one of these signs, as if you can somehow figure a way to get past that barrier. Even if the road is completely torn up, equipment sitting there, no pavement within your field of vision, you will still stare at the sign, trying to figure a way out of this.

But an easy way out was not meant to be.

Luckily I have Greta, my Australian-speaking handy dandy GPS friend. I asked Greta to please find another route. She thought and she thought. Finally, she came up with a detour that would take me there in 20 minutes.

20 min doesn't sound like a lot of time until you realize it's all gravel. With lots of potholes d/t the rain we've had.

3 minutes before I reach my detoured destination, I come to a low-water bridge. A flooded low water bridge. (If you've never heard of a low-water bridge, leave a comment and someone will tell you).

If you read this post, you'll know why it was a good thing the girls weren't with me. Greta got an earful.

I called the home in the middle of nowhere and said "See you next week!"

I'll leave you with a quote from Alexander.

"It has been a terrible horrible no good very bad day. I think I'll move to Australia".

Maybe Greta has a spare room.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I can so relate! And if anyone does need an explanation on a low water bridge please leave a comment, I live on a county road with one! Hope you are having a better today!

LOL!
Amy Haertling

Mrs. Dirnberger said...

I used to read that book at Preschool all the TIME! I know those kind of days...pop a bottle of wine all for yourself

Anonymous said...

I will not name my gps greta when Ever I may get one....
Twylia

Anonymous said...

Michele I feel your pain. I was driving to East Prairie the other day and I got to a road closed sign on highway 80. I had to go all the way back to 57 and go through Bertrand to get there- an extra 30 min on an already crazy day! -Pam