Monday, September 15, 2008

Cryptic Speaking

Well, that last blog was a lot of fun but so many of you forgot to sign your name! It's no fun if you don't tell me who you are! And I am still trying to guess who sat in the parking lot and listened to Styx! Please tell!
One thing that Scott and I have always done around the kids is what we call "cryptic speaking". My Mom thinks it's pretty clever. Once the kids get old enough that we can't spell anymore, we have to talk above their heads. If you know Megan, you know we passed the cryptic stage a long time ago with her. Now Scott, Megan and I are using cryptic talk around Emily. I am trying to teach Megan how to do this. She is really good at interpreting though. For example, if we are talking about Emily, we will use "offspring", "sibling", "descendent", etc. "Eat" is usually "consume". "Buy" is always "purchase". Burger King might be "beef royalty". So if we are going to take Emily to Burger King, I might tell Megan "I am considering taking our offspring to Beef Royalty to consume poultry". Or "Your sibling will not accompany us to the retail outlets. Instead, she will experience a deep slumber". So tonight I'm wondering if anyone else does this and if so, give some examples of how you use cryptic speaking. Or just leave me a cryptic message. But please sign your name! Thanks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We DO do this! With Landon it was mainly food places. Once you mentioned it, the possiblity of not taking him was completely lost. Many times we have discussed whether or not to "patronize" the "Scarlet Crustacean" or the "Milk Princess." I am racking my brain trying to think of some more...Parents are "maternal or fraternal figures." The funny one at our house now is to try to "cryptic speak" to Caroline in front of Jack Henry. She is now down to blurting out the answer around half the time! - Amy H

Anonymous said...

We used to do this until paul figured out how to spell. one day he said no i am not t-i-r-e-d. then the game was over. but it was fun while it lasted. n-a-p is another he figured out quick.
tm

Anonymous said...

We used to number the children when referring to them in their presence. Now that I think of it we probably scarred a kid by calling her #2. Anyway, they've figured it out so we don't anymore. They refer to each other by the numbers and think they're funny. I can't remember other specific phrases we've used but I think the kids could do it to us now. They seem to know more words than us sometimes. The Styx concertgoers are the Pujol's. Aren't we lame? My friend, Connie, told me it sounded like a scene from a Chevy Chase movie. Now that IS sad. I just thought it was a win-win solution. They got to hear a few songs too without having to witness all the other eye candy that might accompany a rock concert. They did get to see a few tube tops at the fair earlier in the day. You can always count on a few of those at the fair.

Anonymous said...

Well, thanks for teaching me a thing or two about being cryptic. I could use the teaching. It is usually a grunt and head point or referring to "the other one" instead of saying a name. There is a lot of whispering and moving to a different room in our house. I got to think about this some more! :)

Linda

Anonymous said...

This is too funny! Just a few days ago I asked Nick if he wanted to "extend an invitation to a family who dwells in close proximity to partake in our evening meal" when asking if he wanted to invite the neighbors over for dinner.
It is fun trying to keep ahead of the kids! Bailey can now spell a lot of words and if she can't she will get a pen and write it down to see if she can figure out what we spelled!
Becca