Thursday, November 6, 2008

Colon Countdown

I am celebrating not only the good results from the colonoscopy, but also the fact I survived the required prep. It is so hard to go without food for so long! I spent weeks pondering how I would survive what I call the Colon Countdown. I call it that b/c that's what I did- I counted the hours until I knew I would be put under anesthesia and it would all be over. The first thing I did was totally pig out Tuesday. I ate whatever I wanted. I went to Panera and ordered the Soup in a Bread Bowl. I do not think Panera intends for people to actually eat the entire contents- soup and bowl- but that's what I did. I sat in my office and ate the ENTIRE bowl. Have you ever tried to eat the bread bowl. It's not easy. I looked like a lion tearing a piece of meat, my head swinging back and forth trying to tear the bread with my teeth, soup residue flinging around the room. By the time it was over, the tomato soup splotches made my office look like a crime scene. But I digress...So I also ate a big plate of greasy pizza before I went to bed and felt so full, I was praying for Wednesday's hunger to set in. So Wednesday came and I decided my only hope of feeling full was what I call Liquid Sugar. That is the only approved form of sugar that is allowed during the Colon Countdown. So I drank a large blue Powerade and then went to Rhodes and bought a 44 ounce Dr. Pepper. Now, you should know I rarely drink soda and when I do, it's always diet. So you can imagine the high I was on after I sucked down all 44 oz in less than 2 hours. I was wired! It was a "Happy Hunger" that I was feeling by afternoon. One thing that I was allowed to have was clear, hard candy. So I ate an entire bag of hard candy throughout the day. If my teeth survive this Colon Countdown, I'll be a lucky girl.
Then 4 o'clock came and it was time to start taking all 32 pills. That's right. 32 of those things between 4 and 9 o'clock. And if you know anything about how the prep works, which I'm sure you do, you know that you can't just take the meds and go to bed. Oh no. You are required to stay up all night and make sure Charmin stays in business.
So I arrived at the Clinic this morning bright and early, weak from dehydration but feeling better than I thought I would. I was laughing and joking with the nurses in an attempt to redeem myself for last year's tantrum. Then the dr. arrives and I was left to ponder how it's possible for this guy to be even more attractive than he was last year...and how does he spike that hair so perfectly...and keep it such an attractive gray color...Anyways, the first thing he said to me when he walked in was "I need to tell you that Someone was looking out for you last year b/c at your age with your symptoms, we just don't ever do this test. You are very lucky".
So, the test was completed and he told me I don't have to come back for 2 years. I am grateful for that, but it scares me to think of going 2 years without looking for cancer.
I do think it is meant for me to live. Too many events fell into place at just the right time. I believe God is not nearly done with me. In other words, he doesn't want me hangin' around up there, cracking jokes and eating all the chocolate. I think he wants me right where I am.
Thank you to all who have prayed for me. I love you all! And one more thing, you can't hide from me anymore! I have installed a live traffic feed on the blog that tells me what cities are looking at my blog. So I may not know your name, but I know where you live!
Love you all,
Michele;

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny, glad to know you keep charmin in business.
instead of the final countdown its the colon countdown.
God is not done with you yet , you have to finish raising my daughter-in-law. Ha Ha.
twyia

Anonymous said...

God is so good! What and answer to prayer! I am so happy for you Michele! I know I don't see you very often, but I am glad you are still here entertaining us with your blogs, having your beautiful face on this earth, and most importantly here to be a mother to your two beautiful girls!

LOL!
Amy Haertling

Anonymous said...

Michele,
We are going to try and see you tomorrow at your sisters. I LOVE THE PINK POODLE COSTUME. I think I will be a PINK POODLE next year. Congratulations on your test!!!! I need to fast for six months... but I tend to be more of a slower then a faster.....Hope to see you this weekend!!!!!!
Kim and Carley

Anonymous said...

Michele, I am so happy that you got a good report. I think you are right that God has more for you to do here. Enjoy every minute. Love, Suzy

Anonymous said...

I hope your traffic cop doesn't tell you how many times we stop by because I may fall into stalker category from checking it so often.

It was great to see you this weekend!

Linda