Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Guilty

I am realizing lately just how much guilt I carry around with me.
I was waiting to make a left turn at a stoplight when I realized all the others cars would have to stop just so I could turn left.
I felt guilty about that.
Those people could be in a hurry, late for work, late for school, whatever.
I was slowing them down.
Why do I care?
And why am I racked with guilt for all that happens in my life and the lives of my children?

I was raised on Guilt Street. I attended Guilt Elementary School and on Sundays I went to the 1rst Guilt Church. My mama served up a huge portion of Guilt and Tators every night.
You would think that when I left home, I might have left Guilt behind.
Not exactly.
In college, I took Advanced Guilt.
In my 20's, I gave birth to Guilt.
So now I am nearing my 40's and Guilt still lives with me.
My dad would say Guilt keeps me on the straight and narrow path.
He could be right.
Or maybe I carry Guilt around in my pocket b/c I stumble way too often in Life and recognize the consequences of my actions.

Guilty as charged.

6 comments:

amyaj said...

Let the guilt go - it is worth the work! I am still recovering...

brooke_hc said...

We're Catholic...it comes with the territory. :)

Rotorhead said...

MIchele, you really need to consider taking up some totally hedonistic activity. Go find something that, while not benefitting anyone else, makes you feel really good. Don't stop until you no longer feel the guilt. It's therapeutic. Empathy for others at a stop light is one thing; but true guilt doesn't do anything helpful. I don't know what the Missouri version of surfing is...fly fishing?
-RH

Mrs. Dirnberger said...

Guilt...its an evil thing isn't it? I live with lots of it too...way too often! Let it go, just for a day to see what its like!

cancerwarriormom said...

I'm with ya, always on a major guilt trip over something. I blame motherhood. Is it just those I've been around or do men not seem to have that problem?

Anonymous said...

I am glad that I am not the only one! But since we went to the same Guilty Elementary (which my Dad was the principal)and High School and later attended the same Guilty Church, and now in the same Guilty profession (where you want to fix so many problems and when you can't it adds more guilt) I now know that I am not alone with having Mrs. Guilty ask me to carry her along everywhere I go. It just gets way too tiring everyday.

Thank you for sharing,
Shawna :)