Friday, November 30, 2007

As pretty as...

Well, I must be doing okay, I was able to work almost a full day today! I never thought I would say that I miss working- but I really do. Wednesday when my father-in-law drove me to OptionCare to get my pump unhooked, we drove near the office where I am a part time medical consultant (it's my side job). I almost cried b/c I wanted to be there, working like a normal day. I have been full of highs and lows lately. Emily always cheers me up though. She comes into my bed and asks if I have all my supplies, which includes heating pad (for my hands), kleenex (for the constant runny nose I get from chemo), pig pillow (for propping my arm on, I borrowed it from Emily), cell phone (just in case), water, etc. Poor Scott, there's not much room left in the bed for him!
Everyone keeps saying "you look good". I'm not sure why everyone says that. Emily paid me the highest compliment this week. She said in her sincerest voice (if you know Emily, you know that voice), "Mommy, you are as pretty as a 3-tailed donkey!" Wow, I feel much better now that I know I look like a donkey.

I am actually home alone tonight! The girls are spending the night with the Messmers (thank you Twylia). Scott and I thought we would have some time alone (actually we were looking forward to going to bed early) but as fate would have it, Scott had to go to the funeral home. His great uncle, who was very old, passed away. I declared that I was not stepping foot in a funeral home. I have had a lot of morbid thoughts lately, and I didn't feel like I could go. So, I am enjoying peace and quiet. I do miss the girls though. Megan and I have been having some real girl talk lately. She is growing up so fast, in ways I didn't imagine would happen yet. Already a first crush! I swear I won't mention "his" name but I can tell you what we call the sickness, "brain PAULSY". Sorry, Megan- I couldn't resist telling about your new diagnosis.

Twylia told me some really funny stories about my hallucinations on Monday. Apparently I was REALLY out of it. Between the pig pictures I saw on the wall and my phantom magazine that disappeared, I think I really owe her for all she put up with. I don't know how she managed to get me home. Scott said I was so out of it, he would occasionally come in the bedroom and poke me to make sure I was still alive.

Thanks again for all the prayers! And the meals! A special thanks goes out to the Haertlings- Amy, you outdid yourself! Thanks so much!

Love,
Michele;

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michele,
I'm so glad you're feeling "okay". Emily does have that special way of making everyone feel a little better (or a little worse, depending on how you take it) and thats why we love her.

Unknown said...

Glad that you are feeling better, prayers are working. I feel like I know Emily thru the stories on here, maybe I will get to meet her one day she sounds so funny. Anyway let me know when you are up to lunch. I am fighting MISS CONSTIPATION right now and was really tired yesterday afternoon and evening but am hoping to be more like myself soon(whatever that is anymore)! Take care and have a wonderful weekend!

Sandy;

Anonymous said...

Hey Michele.

I got real busy this week and I just got to read your blog today. I'm sorry you had such a horrible time this week. I cried just reading it. Here's hoping that your next week is much better. On a side note, thanks for recommending the American Girls book for Sarah. I bought it this weekend and am ready for our round of "girl talk". Wish me luck and I will keep praying for you!

Becky Wichern

Jody said...

Thanks for the note on john's blog. He will be happy to know you are doing well!
-jody

Anonymous said...

Michele,
You are so funny,.The kids had a great time Friday night.I enjoyed having them over. Listening to Megs laugh and emmy tell stories is so funny.
I will take you to chemo anytime, I find it a true honor.
As far as work, Yea its healthy to miss it.
have a good day, and remember lots of people are praying for you.
Twylia

vman1300 said...

Glad you are feeling better. Our thoughts and prayers are with you always.

Believe,

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hello Michele, my name is Karen we don't know eachother but my husband gave me your blog address from someone who knows you, I'll find out details later, :)
I was also diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer last year at the age of 29 I have two little girls Veronica 6 and Alani 4 (Dec 11),I finished Chemo on June 27th of this year, I wanted to write and keep in touch with you, because it helps when you have someone who truly understands what you are going through, I know because my mother was the only one who understood me better she had colon cancer too (it's hederitary in my family) her sister had it but she passed because Chemo was too much for her, and my grandfather had it and he passed too because it was too late for him. I'm sorry I'm writing too much, I'm just excited to get to know you and be there for you in your journey to recovery. Talk to ya later, if you want to write me here's my e-mail loving_texas@hotmail.com