Sunday, November 18, 2007

Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot Pie!!!

Today is Day 7 of Round 5 and I still have not completely bounced back. I am still very tired. I am sure hoping to feel my best over Thanksgiving. I woke up Friday after spending 14 hours in bed and I was so weak, I thought my heart was too tired to beat. I asked Scott to call Dr. Lilly's office and ask if the iv's could be brought to me. So OptionCare came to the house and I got my iv's in the comfort of my own home. I knew I was too weak to sit in the chemo room for 4 hours, which is how long it takes to get 2 bags of fluids. Plus, I didn't have to get a lecture about how much weight I've lost since Monday. 7lb in 5 days. Yikes. Dr. Lilly would freak!
Today I worked on getting my Christmas cards ordered. It looks like I'm not going to make my Thanksgiving deadline this year. If you've ever received a card/Christmas letter from me during the holidays, you know I like to have them in your mailbox by Thanksgiving weekend. My sister Linda and I have a friendly competition every year to see who can get their letter out the fastest. Not going to happen this year. While I'm on that subject- If you think there's a chance I don't have your address, please email it to me at mpeters6@charter.net. I would love to send everyone a card this year.
Do you know the children's book "Just in Case You Ever Wonder" by Max Lucado? Well, I have my own list. So just in case you've ever wondered, I'll tell you now:
1.Chemo fatigue is like no other fatigue in the world. It's indescribable. I can't believe I ever uttered the words "I'm tired" pre-chemo. I try to imagine that many great people in our history have suffered worse than me. Today I tried to imagine how tired Jesus was carrying that cross but...I'm still tired.
2.Chemo may not burn on the way in but it sure does burn on the way out. 'nuff said.
3.I think...I stink. But I'm not sure. Emily told me this week I smelled weird, like an onion.
4.It really is possible to cringe in pain from touching seemingly innocent objects, like doorknobs, silverware and faucets.
5.Waitresses really think you're weird when you order a drink without ice.
6.It IS weird to drink without ice.

I keep forgetting to mention how WONDERFUL all the meals have been! We were excited this week to get another one of Kim Price's homemade chicken pot pies. YUM! Do you remember the chicken pot pie episode from "Just Shoot Me" years ago. Scott and I were chanting it Friday night. The girls have tried so many new foods. In the past, they didn't like to try new things but now they dig right in! We are so fortunate to have so many people helping us out. Our church family at St. Vincent's has been amazing. I could never thank you enough for all you've done.
Keep in touch and have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Love,
Michele;

7 comments:

suzy allee said...

Michele, I'm glad to hear everyone is still helping feed you and your family. That should help get your strength back. It's good that the IVs came to you. I know that made it easier.
You said this was Round 5. I can't remember how many rounds you have to do. I wish you were through with it!
We've had a busy weekend with Christopher and Curtis playing in a basketball tournament, which they got first place in. We also went to the Tipton High School football playoff game Saturday. They made it to the semi-final round, but unfornately, they were defeated by Thayer.
Kyle got a 10-point buck last weekend. Then Seth got one that had the same amount of points, but it was bigger. Kyle says he'll never live it down until he gets a bigger one. Randy got his first deer. Paul saw a couple of deer up by the turkey barn early one morn and he went down to tell the boys. They got ready really quick. Christopher took Paul aside and told him that he wasn't going to shoot because Randy had never gotten one and he wanted Randy to get it. Anyway, Randy shoots the deer, lays his gun down, and raises his arms in the air, and shouts, "Hasta la vista, Baby!" It was a good moment for Paul to share with him. It was also good to see Christopher put his brother in front of himself. I wasn't sure that would ever happen! I hope I haven't grossed everyone out with all of this "deer talk", but in this part of the country, a boy isn't a man until he's bagged himself a deer!
I do hope that you will be able to enjoy all of your Thanksgiving favorites this year. We will all be going to Lynne's. She always does Thanksgiving.
We get out of school at 12:30 Wednesday. I can't wait!
We love you guys. Love, Suzy

Anonymous said...

I doubt the Queen of England takes ice in her drinks. Next time you ask for a drink without ice, feel regal. Imagine you're at The Pump House in Bath... You could even fake a British accent, that should really give a reason to look you over! Amy H

Anonymous said...

What is it about chicken pot pie that is so comforting? I hope you are feeling up to eating, eating, eating at Thanksgiving. Maybe if you gain a few pounds over Thanksgiving you won't get lectured next week :) I would gladly hand over the ten pounds I'm sure I'll put on if it would help!

I agree with Amy - Drinking without ice is definitely a British thing. Where across the pond does your family descend from? Maybe it's in your blood. HA HA.

See you soon. Pam A.

Anonymous said...

I will work on plumping you back up this weekend!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele, I have been praying for you everyday and wondering how you have been. I will say extra prayers today for you to get your strength back. I believe that is what I am most afraid of with chemo is losing my energy because I am always on the go. Chemo starts next Wed, Nov 28 for me and I am hoping for the best in this bad situation. A day at a time, I have come to realize that is all we can do when faced with this disease. Remember that God is with you thru this. Keep a positive attitude, stay focused on getting better and I know you will get thru this. Everyone is praying for you, hang in there!!! Love ya girl!

Sandy;

Anonymous said...

HEY GIRL CHECKING IN, HOPE YOU ARE FEELING MUCH BETTER BY TURKEY DAY. YOU ARE IN OUR PRAYERS, SORRY THIS ROUND WAS SO ROUGH, I WILL BE CALLING YOU AFTER TURKEY DAY, I WANT TO MAKE YOU DINNER THE NEXT WEEK. HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY WEEK AND I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO MY ANNUAL CHRISTMAS UPDATE IN THE MAIL SOON. SURE WOULDN'T HAVE THOUGHT WHEN I WAS READING IT THIS TIME LAST YEAR THAT I WOULD BE READING ABOUT YOU FIGHTING CANCER. HOWEVER YOU ARE A GREAT FIGHTER, YOU HANG TOUGH!

AMY HAERTLING

vman1300 said...

So sorry about the fatigue. Just rest as much as you can. And yes you have made me hungry again, chicken pot pie...mmmmm. I know what I am having for lunch, lol.

Have a great Thanksgiving, we both have so MUCH to be thankful for!

Believe,

Kevin