Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Flippin' over, Flippin' out

I am feeling great this week! I did have a slight scare Friday night. I ran a fever but had no other symptoms. These things always happen on the weekend. Dr. Lilly was on a plane somewhere. He was able to call in a prescription for an antibiotic, so Scott made a late night run to Walgreens. Scott has a great idea. He thinks all cancer patients need one of those air tubes, like you see at the bank drive-thru so that when we need something, the pharmacy can just send it in the tube and he won't have to go to Walgreens in the wee hours of the night. Good idea. So today, Port Chop was giving me all sorts of pain. It feels like I'm being pinched and it hurts. I called my surgeon and the nurse wasn't too worried, although the fever could be related. If this thing gets infected, I will fall to pieces. I can't go thru another port placement. She said Very rarely (I hate the term "very rarely" b/c when they say that, you can darn well guarantee it's going to happen) a port will flip. And if that happens, they can try to manually flip it back. Kinda like cookin' a pork chop...while you're at it, stick an apple in my mouth and hang me over the pit.
Today at work, I show up for a visit at a house. I walk in and the baby is laying on the couch, covered with a rash from head to toe. The nurse says yeah, he has a virus, he's been in the hospital, he still has a fever. I flipped out. I couldn't make it out the door fast enough. I was so mad! Can you think of any words more scary to a cancer patient than rash, virus, hospital and fever??? I just wanted to say Hey, while I'm here soaking up infected air, you want me to drink from his bottle too??? How about a kiss for the platelet-deprived lady???
OK, I'm done venting. Thanks for listening!
Michele;

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey my boys are both a little under the weather. . . you want to babysit? People are crazy aren't they!? Like you'd want to see the sick kid under normal circumstances, but especially not now. That it a major pet peeve of mine! Anyway, I am glad that you are feeling good. I'll pray that Port Chop calms down and behaves himself. It sounds like childbirth without drugs would be better than having the port manipulated! Take care and have a great week! Amy Sparks

Anonymous said...

hey baby,
I also will pray Port Chop listens to , and turns around, he/she is just like a child and a spouse , they will listen when they want to.
Tell Scott, if he invents the tube system for houses to let me know, wal-greens would really make out like bandits.
The nerve of people not calling when kids are sick, what in the heck where they thinking, oh I am so sorry but they were not thinking.
talk with you later,
Twylia

vman1300 said...

The tube is a GREAT idea! Glad to see you doing so well. Keep the faith and belive!

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele,

your posts always make me laugh!! Great to hear you having a good week. I'm off chemo this week too (#9 is tuesday) and enjoying it so much.

Take care,

Christele (chicago)

Anonymous said...

GOOD GRAVY! SURELY THOSE PEOPLE KNEW WHAT YOU WERE GOING THROUGH? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING! HOPE THIS COMMENT FINDS YOU FEVER AND INFECTION FREE AND PORT CHOP IS BEHAVING!

AMY HAERTLING

Anonymous said...

I am loving Rock Star Joe.

Anonymous said...

Michelle,

I saw your blog on Vman's blog site. Thank you for thinking of Kevin. I'll make certain to add you to the prayers that are said for him. It looks like you can use one or two yourself.

If I may make a suggestion, check the cancer center to see if anyone in the area is offering Reiki treatments. It's an energy treatment that should help with the nausea common to chemo treatments. Many churches or martial arts studios will offer them free of charge to cancer patients. Several hospitals around here do as well.

Good luck with your treatments Michelle. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Dan