Thursday, August 21, 2008

Math Problems

Well, I am happy to see so many votes on my poll, it looks like Sandy is the real winner, she reports she has 30 pairs of flipflops! You go, girl!
School started this week and so far, so good. Emily loves it! She is so adorable in her uniform! Check out the pics I posted on the sidebar. So tonight, we are 2 days into the 4th grade, page 3 of the math book and here is one of Megan's math problems: "If you add a ten thousands digit that is 2 times the ones digit to the number 2,794, what is the new number? Explain." Scott and I are stumped already! If you know the answer, please tell me! I would love to know how many of you could figure that out. I do have 2 friends that are math teachers, so I am counting on them to report the answer.
Here is one more math problem to solve:
Michele has a CT scan at 9:15. The test is in St. Louis, which is a 2 hour drive. No liquids are allowed for 4 hours before the test. Which option should she pick:
a)Get up at 5 am and drink 2 cups of coffee before 5:15
b)Sleep till the last possible minute and go without coffee
I pick a). Go without coffee??? No way!!!

Have a great weekend!
Love,
Michele

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

82, 794 - Can't resist a challenge, still! Have a safe trip.
Robin

Anonymous said...

Hey--I can actually do that math problem--but only because it doesn't involve much computation. They mean take the 4 which is in the ones place of the number they gave you, double it (so you get 8), put it in the ten thousands place (which is to the left of the thousands place) and you get--(like Robin said), 82,794. (Did any of that garbage I wrote make any sense?) It does sound nasty though when you first look at it.

On a more important note...my favorite picture is the last one of Emily that says "adorable" under it. I love that grin. I'm glad things are going well. I know she'll keep Mrs. Shaffer in stitches.

Kasey said...

Megs looks so grown up and they are both ABSOLUTELY adorable!!!
I hate math and to be in 4th grade and learning that? When I was in 4th grade we were still learning basic math.
Mom and I were both really worried about Emmie going to school, but after I talked to her the other night and heard her use the word AWESOME ( I think in a 5 minute conversation she said it about 10 times) to describe her first day of school I knew everything would be okay.

Anonymous said...

So did you get up early for coffee?

Anonymous said...

1+1 = 2
Twylia

Anonymous said...

The ones digit is 4. Two x that is 8. So add an 8 to the left of the 2 in this problem. The 8 is now in the ten thousands digit place. The number is 82,whatever the rest was! You always start at the right side of the problem. It goes ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, hundred thousands, millions, etc. Hope this is clearer than mud. Good luck! Love, Suzy

Anonymous said...

Wow Michele,
Im glad ur friends are mathy...I would have to ask Jeeves. lol. I had to send a note home in the 5th grade that said send instructions or book home.... I don't know what this is. I needed a tutor to help me help Carley! Megan looks so grown up and Emily is beyond cute. I didn't get to vote...but I hope you had the coffee! Saw on ur facebook that tests were good. We are happy for you. Had a little stress this week.... thus the insomnia! Hope u have a great week.

Kim and Carley

Anonymous said...

OH MY, ALLISON IS ONLY IN FIRST GRADE AND I THINK I AM ALREADY IN TROUBLE IN THE HOMEWORK DEPARTMENT. THEY DO NOTHING LIKE WE DID 35 YEARS AGO!

AMY HAERTLING