Saturday, August 2, 2008

On this date...July 30th

I am overdue for a post, I have been so busy this week. I took the girls to Arkansas to stay with my family. Scott and I are home alone! I am happy to report the extra meds have helped my anxiety quite a bit, I am feeling much better. I did not have my CT scan as planned, I am going on Aug 22nd.
Last year on Monday, June 30th I was feeling a little better and had decided I was not going to have the colonoscopy. The thought of it made me sick. I just didn't think I could do it. So when Dr. Bieser's nurse called to schedule it, I did not answer the phone and I did not return her call. She did mention in her message that I could pick up some samples of a new med at Dr. Bieser's office. It was something new that had just been approved and apparently was supposed to be a wonder drug. I did pick up the samples that morning. I came home for lunch that day and went online to check Jennifer Ireland's blog. You may remember her. She had passed away from colorectal cancer and her husband was still blogging. She was originally from Cape. From Jennifer's blog, I went to a blog written by Shawndra Turner. I had never read Shawndra's site but for some reason, I decided to read it. The first thing that caught my attention was that we shared the same birthday. She was blogging about how wonderful her birthday had been and she was worried it would be her last. She was fighting colorectal cancer and she was only 31 years old. Then I found her post about what her symptoms were. I was stunned. EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS I WAS HAVING. I could not believe it. It hit me hard and I realized this could be me. I felt like she was talking to me. She was really emphasizing how important it was to have a colonoscopy if you are having the same symptoms. I believe to this day that Shawndra Turner played a huge role in saving my life. I will always be grateful to her and I pray for her daily as she battles this disease. I have never known anyone who has fought cancer as hard as she has. She refuses to give up.
Right after that, the GI nurse called and was ready to schedule it. I had not even called Dr. Bieser's nurse back to ok the test. Apparently, Dr. Bieser's nurse had called Dr. Schneider's office and told them I was having it done, even though I had not called her back. So again, a Higher Power was at work, pushing this test. No one was asking me if I wanted it done, so I didn't really have a chance to say No thanks. I think that also played a part in why I went ahead with it. I remember I was sitting at Casey's gas station in Fruitland, writing the test instructions in my calendar (I still have the notes I jotted down). It was scheduled for August 7th, which was only 1 week away. I also remember it was the same day my friend Amy H's son was having brain surgery. A big day for both of us.
Finally, I want to mention briefly what happened when I took that new med. I won't mention the name b/c I don't want to discourage anyone from taking it. I had a weird reaction to it. Even though it did work how it was supposed to, it also made me feel like I was going to pass out. I would have these spells where I felt like my blood pressure was bottoming out. Long story short, I ended up in the ER at 3 in the morning that week b/c of that med. The ER ran a CT of my abdomen and said "no sign of colon tumors, no unusual gas patterns to indicate cancer, you are fine". I asked if I could have my colonoscopy done while I was there, they said No way, you are not sick enough, that would only be in an emergency situation.
Next episode: August 7th- Colonoscopy is performed, Life is forever changed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michele,
This note is late in coming. I just wanted to let you know how much Carley and I enjoyed meeting you. We had such a great time at dinner. It was great to see Linda and I always enjoy time with Donna. We think you are a phenomenal(sp?) woman and continue to be amazed by your story.

Enjoy your couple time sans girls. I know grandpa and grandma will enjoy the girls.

Kim and Carley

Anonymous said...

Michele,
Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that you had a blog. You are a great writer! I am glad you are feeling better. Hopefully, I will see you soon.
Becca Underwood
http://rejoiceandbeglad.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Whoa - what a difference a year makes. This morning as I braved going back to school for the first time since June I was carrying JH and thinking "WOW, what a different start to this school year." Then, to read your reference to last August... It reminds me again how blessed we are to live in a time when medicine and science can find ways to make things better. - Amy H