Tuesday, August 19, 2008

'Twas the night before Kindergarten...

and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even...Emily. Well I tried to make it special but the plans backfired. I thought we would go eat (her favorite activity), come home and read her "going to kindergarten" books, take a nice leisurely bath, pick her outfit (first day of school is picture day so no uniforms on that day) then we would snuggle in bed and she would drift off to sleep, dreaming of kindergarten. This would be in direct opposition to the dream I had last night that I was dragging her by the arm in the front yard trying to get her ready for school. So I asked her to pick a restaurant. She picked Applebee's b/c she likes their fries and ketchup. She picks restaurants based on whether they serve fries and if they do serve fries, are they the right kind of fries, are they stingy with the ketchup, etc. After driving 20 min to get there, we pull in the parking lot and she says "I'm sick, I think I'm going to throw up". I guess she is so nervous about school, she had a bad stomachache. So we drove home b/c she refused to go in and eat. She fell asleep on the way home and went straight to bed at 5:30. Which means she'll be up EARLY. Anyone that says kids grow up fast doesn't live in our house. Even though Emily's birth certificate says she is 5 years old, that's not her true age. See, she was 2 for at least 5 years, 3 lasted about 4 years and 4 lasted a couple of years. We have lost track of how long she has been 5, so we are only guessing when we say she is actually about 12. At least that's how long it feels like we've been ordering fries with extra ketchup.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michele,
We hope Emily will enjoy her first day. Kindergarden is a BIG deal. I would be nervous too. I think thats why I have done my job for so long....meeting new people and doing what they expect me to do is not always easy. She has a good example in Meghan and im sure she will get that sisterly support she needs.
I got to go to school with Carley yesterday and it was kind of sad..... it was our last first day of public school EVER!!!!! I keep reminding Carley, I don't have a spare, she has to turn out good. No Pressure!!!!!! Have a good rest of your week.... and to all a good night!

Kim & Carley

Kasey said...

I miss the zoo. Ha ha. Hope everything goes well for Emily (and Megan ) and Megan tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Emily on your first day of school! You and Abby will have to compare your kindergarten experiences :) I can't wait to hear all about it.

Unknown said...

Hope school goes good tomorrow for Emily. I have to laugh at the fries and ketchup. Spencer is the same way. Mike took him to college Saturday with his staple for all foods-about 10 bottles of Heinz ketchup and I know what you mean about the fries. On a flip note-I have made it thru the new chemo fine as of about 30 minutes ago, YEAH!!!! Hopefully we will be home Thursday!

Linda said...

I hope everything went well this morning! I love a good plan but the best ones never seem to come to fruition. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Linda

Anonymous said...

The best laid plans... The photos of the girls first day of school is adorable! I can't believe Emmy is alreading in Kdg! Funny about the shoes - I borrowed a pair of Carter's flip flops this summer. You've inspired me to get back to blogging. Amy H