Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Unusual Suspects

Years ago, when I decided to be a speech therapist, I imagined I would be sitting in a classroom teaching all the Cindy Bradys of the world how to say She sells seashells by the seashore...
I was on my way to make a home visit today in Scott's truck (I drove his truck b/c of the snow and ice) and the Mom called and said "Hey, I'm running a little late, but I'll be there". I drive up and ponder where I am going to park. This house requires street parking but there are piles and piles of snow/ice along the roads. So I park and then change my mind, make a u-turn in the street, ignoring the cop I see, and park on the other side of the street. I sit, trying to decide whether the Mom has made it home yet. I cannot tell if the car is in the garage. So I get out, walk up to the door, ring the doorbell, no one answers. So I stand there and ponder...do I walk all the way back to the truck...stand there in 20 degree weather and wait....why is that cop still driving around...Then the cop pulls up behind my truck...pulls out...drives up to the house...rolls his window down. I figure, oops I parked illegally, in fact, that was my first question. He ignores my question...he has bigger and better things on his mind. He begins to question me about who I am and what I am doing. I tell him who I am and what I'm doing. He then tells me that there have been a string of burglaries in this neighborhood and several eyewitnesses reporting a white quad cab truck. JUST LIKE THE ONE I'M DRIVING!!! I was so scared! I began to blabber on about my job...my license...my name...whatever popped into my head... I do not remember what came out of my mouth. He radioed in my name and I promised to sit in my truck until the family came home. As you can imagine, I got in the truck and called the mom and said "PAM COME HOME NOW...THERE'S A COP HERE...HE THINKS I'M A BURGLAR...STOP LAUGHING...IT'S NOT FUNNY!" I don't blame the guy...come on...look at how suspicious I looked...all that parking and reparking...standing at the door...big heavy coat...gloves...I looked so suspicious, I was ready to arrest myself...I am still scared tonight that they're coming to get me...and I know I have a big red flag beside my name in the police computer...possible burglary suspect...or as Cindy Brady would say...potthible thuthpect.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is sooo funny! I can picture the whole scenario perfectly. I can only imagine how scared you were!
Becca

Mrs. Dirnberger said...

I can always count on your stories brightening my day....I am glad you will be walking with our team!!!! So exciting! I will give details as it all get closer!

Linda said...

I can't stop laughing! That is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Love the speech impediment part of the blog by Cindy Brady! "We speech thewapists are a-ways good at imitating the wwong way to tay someping". I will look for you on the next "America's Most Wanted". :)
Shawna

Stephanie said...

I needed that giggle today. You are a marked woman now, Michele. I think for Halloween next year you and Scott should go as Bonnie and Clyde. Love the Cindy Brady imitation, as well.
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for the trauma but I have to admit I'm glad they are watching those extended cab pickups. That's the type of truck that was the get-away vehicle when my house was burglarized. Why is it the law abiding citizens have to suffer for these idiots?

Mrs. Dirnberger said...

You have been tagged! Hope you enjooy!

Anonymous said...

OK - I'm REALLY REALLY sorry that I laughed - I couldn't help myself. If you were on the other end of the phone you would have laughed too. It's just so insane -anyone who would think that you would be a burglar - I just can't see your face on the crime stopper page - HA :) It's the snow & ice I tell you - it makes traffic at Alma Schrader a NIGHTMARE (why I was late), makes you a burglary suspect - makes me wreck my car and have the same fender / bumper fixed for the second time (shall I continue?) - I'm so mad at that dumb groundhog right now - when is spring coming????

Pam A.

Jin said...

Personally, I think you do look like a burglar. I probably would have arrested you.

hahahahahaha!

The best part is I can imagine exactly how you sounded, getting nervous and telling him everything about who you are, why you are there, etc. In that rushed way you talk sometimes!