Saturday, March 28, 2009

Believe

I've been putting off this post for 2 days now b/c I didn't really want to type the words.
Kevin (vman) passed away on Thursday at about 8:30 am Eastern time.
Here are the 3 pics I took of him last year when we met. In case you have not been following my blog for that long, let me explain how we became friends and how we came to meet.
It started when I saw Kevin's first post on the Colon Club. I left a comment on his blog, Hey just noticed we are the same age and diagnosed the same week with Stage III Colon Cancer. Just wanted to say hi. From there, our friendship really took off. Unfortunately, our cancer journeys were not destined to be similiar. Kevin's surgery wound did not heal and chemo was delayed by several months. In that time, his cancer spread.
Last year, as my cancer journey was coming to a close, Scott told me to pick a vacation spot anywhere (well, let's clarify that; anywhere on American Soil that was warm and within driving distance, so yeah, basically anywhere you want, Michele). I have always wanted to visit the Outer Banks so that's what I chose. When I told Kevin where we were going, he told me we would be passing right by his house on the way to the Outer Banks. So we made plans to stop by.
Scott agreed to this, b/c let's face it, he was spoiling me rotten at that time.
It was an amazing visit. We could have all talked for hours. Unfortunately, the kids were tired and we didn't get to stay long.
So here are the pics I took. Kevin was a little embarrassed that he had the chemo bag strapped on but I didn't care. Emily loved sitting on the bike. That's Caroline the Duck on the bike, we took her with us and posed her on all the tourist spots. That's Kevin's wife Brenda in the last pic, on the left.




Kevin always signed his emails and posts with "Believe". He believed he would be healed here on Earth, but he knew that if that didn't happen, he would receive healing in Heaven.
What do I believe? I believe he is up There right now, riding his bike. Oh, he loved riding! It was really hard for him in the last several months to be unable to ride. I remember when I saw those 3 bikes in his garage, I gasped at their beauty. (He had 3, and I think they were unofficially labeled, His, Hers and His).
I believe Kevin was up There laughing yesterday when I FINALLY won a radio contest and my prize was a free rental at a hall, which I have now decided I will use to host a fundraiser/party to benefit Colon Cancer in some form. When I won, my first thought was This is Divine Intervention. Then I knew it must be Kevin. Let's face it, I've been trying to win something on the radio for YEARS. About 7:30 am Central time, I win BIG. That's exactly 24 hours after he passed away.
I am so Thankful that I met Kevin, both online and in person. He was a true friend. I believe we will meet again someday.
Ride like the wind, vman. You will be greatly missed.
Love,
Michele

Here is Kevin's online obituary

6 comments:

Linda said...

You wrote a beautiful post. I have been waiting for it knowing it was going to be a difficult one for you. I would say I am sorry for your loss but it doesn't feel right knowing that you are ever so changed by the last 18 months and sometimes when life takes you on an unexpected and unpleasant detour something good can come from it. I do wish you some peace knowing you have said until we meet again to three of your friends who you met during your journey.

amyaj said...

crying along with you

1UP RPG said...

Michelle, I am so, so sorry. But I take comfort in your image of him riding. The communion song yesterday always makes me get teary because it makes me think of folks like your friend Kevin, who if they are not healed on earth, will be healed in heaven: "we will run and not grow weary, for our God will be our strength and we will fly like the eagle; we shall rise again."

Brooke

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. It always breaks my heart to know that another family is going through such a difficult time because of this disease. Sending peace your way,
Shawna

Lisa said...

I was sorry to hear about Kevin. I know one of the things the internet has done is open our lives and our hearts to others.

When you decide how/what you want to do for your fundraiser, please let me know. I would like to help in any way I can.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about Kevin, my prayers are with family and friends, I am with you on this one Brooke, if healing is not on earth it is in heaven, its just harder for those left on earth to deal with sometimes. I have always said sometimes things that happen are not always meant for us to understand right now. It is not meant for us to ask why but to praise God in all things and give him the glory for he knows what he is doing even if we do not understand.
praying still,
Twylia