Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Letter to My Beloved Nephew.




Dearest Declan,

In just a few short hours, it will be March 19th, a date that will be forever marked in our hearts as the day you were born.

I will never forget how scared we all were that day, knowing it would take a miracle for you to survive your birth. We got that miracle and for 65 days we all clung to the hope that you would receive complete healing.

I remember Day 64, the moment your mommy called me to say things were bad. I remember Day 65, when we arrived at Children's Mercy and we all realized just how bad things were. Your mommy and daddy were so gracious to let us spend some of those last precious hours with you. I am so grateful that I was able to hold you and tell you how much you were loved. I kissed you and looked at all your tiny fingers and toes. You were so beautiful!

Do you know that I think of you every single day? So many things remind me of you! Every time I hold a baby at work, every time I see a little onesie in the store, every time I hear the word "preemie", I always think of you.

If there is one thing you should know, it is this: You are so loved and your legacy will live forever in the hearts of all who were blessed to know you. You will always be our beloved baby Declan.

Tomorrow we will all quietly celebrate your birthday in our own special ways. Look for some balloons tomorrow afternoon, as we send them up to you. The girls and I will write a special message on each one.

Happy Birthday Declan.
Aunt Mickey Loves You.

9 comments:

Linda said...

Thank you.

Anita said...

Oh Michelle, how touching! You expressed everything I wanted to say, but didn't know how. I have been thinking of Declan and his birthday and am so thankful for the time we did have to get to know him, especially thru Linda. It is too weird that sometimes it still feels like yesterday and sometimes it feels like a hundred years ago, or that it wasn't even real. I will be thinking of you all tomorrow and especially of your sweet, sweet girls! I am so lucky to have Linda in my life, but I am also lucky to know her whole family! You have touched my life in a special way and I hope you know that I appreciate it! big hugs, Anita

Anonymous said...

Michele,

That was beautiful, and you know what else? I just realized how much Emily looks like her Aunt Linda. I will be remembering Declan tomorrow....

Amy Haertling
P.S.
Everyone please pray for Melaina Cunningham, she is at a critical crossroads in her life right now...God is in control.
www.caringbridge.org/visit/melainacunningham

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
That was such a great tribute to an adorable little boy. I will pray for you and your family tomorrow as you celebrate and remember Declan!
Becca

Anonymous said...

Michele, What a talent you have for putting feelings into words. This is beautiful. I will be thinking of you and the girls today. wishing I were there to be a party of your celebration. Donna

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blog entry. You and your sister are very talented in written expression. I have thought of your family alot today and hoping that peace is given to you.

Shawna

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.