Sunday, October 21, 2007

Boost-Induced

I thought everyone would enjoy a pic of Pinky, the water baby. Whenever my hands start to hurt, I yell Someone fill up Pinky!
It took 7 days for me to recover from this round. Today is the first day I feel back to normal (keeping in mind, that's a "new normal"). I am finally feeling like I have my strength back. I have intermittent numbness and poor muscle control in my face, which means when I smile, sometimes my smile stays a little longer than it should, this completely changes the dynamics of a conversation. Try it yourself, smile at someone and leave the smile on your face just a few seconds longer. You suddenly look like a total smart-aleck. Can you tell I have a degree in Communication Disorders??? Speaking of that, I need a little help from my speech path friends. When my emotions get the best of me, sometimes I have to work really hard to fight back the tears. So I decided to start reciting something really boring in my head, like Brown's Stages of Language Development. Feel free to provide me with the most boring topic we learned in grad school. Robin, you were always a wealth of knowledge and trivia, I'm sure you remember them all, haha.
You will be surprised to know what always brings tears to my eyes. I can't call this a Theory, b/c I haven't figured out the "why" of it. I bought a pack of Boost nutritional supplements and every time I drink one, I hit at least a 1-2 on the tear scale. I call it Boost-Induced Tears. I feel so pathetic when I drink them, it makes me feel old. So imagine my emotions when the American Cancer Society showed up at the chemo room Monday and gave me a free case of Boost. I almost laughed at the irony of it. The lady was so excited to offer it to me, she thought she was really doing me a favor, she said I am eligible for a free case every month!
Keep in touch, I love to hear from you.
Michele;
P.S. Happy Birthday to Megan, who turns 9 on Monday and Happy Birthday to my awesome mother-in-law who turns @# today!

7 comments:

suzy allee said...

Hi Michele! It was good to hear from you again. I've been worried. Sorry it took so long to get over the chemo this time, but I'm glad you are feeling better. Happy birthday to Megan and to Marilyn! First quarter ended Friday. I think it flew by. Now, to get my grades on the computer gradecard! Then we have Parent/Teacher Conferences Thurs, Nov. 1. We do it after school into the night, however long it takes, and then we get the next day off. Since my class is small this year, I should be finished by 6:30. Craig went bow hunting for deer in N. Missouri with some friends from his church this past week. He got a big doe and got back home yesterday afternoon. Last night they were cutting it up and making deer jerky. The boys were excited. Lisa went to Kathy's this weekend. Adam was out a little while yesterday. He wanted to borrow Pa-Pa's truck and trailer today to haul an old truck he found for parts. He is in the process of building a truck. Adam always has some sort of vehicle project going on! He is learning how to operate high lifts at school now. Lynne and Rodney went to the Mizzou game yesterday. How about those Tigers? It would have been a fun game to be there in the crowd. I've rambled on quite a while. I hope you keep getting stronger every day. The picture of Emily with Pinky is so cute! Love, Suzy

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha Michele! I may have been a wealth of info in grad school....but that was two kids and a husband ago. I'm lucky now to remember to pay my bills on time!! Keep getting better!! Robin

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of Emily and Pinky! Happy Birthday to Megan! Have a good week. - Amy H

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I forgot to officially meet the Water Baby when I was there today!! Donna

vman1300 said...

I am sorry this round was so rough. I meant to ask earlier, have you tried Glutamine powder for the numbness? My Onc had me on 10g a day for a month before chemo plus a slow release B6.

Stay strong and Believe! Wife and I pray for you and ypur family daily!

Kevin

Anonymous said...

HI MICHELE, SO GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN, KEPT CHECKING THE COMPUTER ALL WEEKEND. CHRIS WOULD EVEN COME IN FROM THE FARM AND ASK IF I HAD SEEN AND UPDATE. I HAD TO PULL UP YOUR WEBSITE FOR HIM AND HE SAT AT ONE SITTING AND READ EVERYONE OF YOUR ENTRIES SINCE AUGUST. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MEGAN!!!I REMEMBER WHEN WE CAME TO HER FIRST BIRTHDAY PARTY WHEN YOU ALL LIVED BEHIND FOOD GIANT IN CAPE! WOW HOW TIME FLIES! GLAD YOU ARE FEELING SOMEWHAT BETTER AGAIN, I AM SURE NORMAL TO YOU NOW IS ANYTHING BUT...YOU ARE IN OUR CONSTANT PRAYERS!

LOVE,
AMY AND CHRIS HAERTLING

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele, I was a faithful follower of Jen Ireland's blog and now Shawndra Turner and through them I found yours. You are in my prayers. I can't even recall now how I found Jen Ireland's blog, oh yeah, a local radio station here talked about it. Anyway, I pray for a full recovery for you and it sounds like you are blessed with many friends and a wonderful family. I will continue to check in on you and keep you and your family in my prayers. They need to find a cure for this horrible disease. Maybe you girls will get your chance to go on Oprah one day, did you read that Shawndra in going to the Oprah show for fun in November? Great for her! Anyway, take care and prayers for you and your family.
Deb in Lee's Summit, Mo.