Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Dark Ages

I feel rotten! Chemo hit me quickly this time. I didn't even work today. The side effects came immediately. Yesterday was a very long day. I spent 6 hours at the Cancer Center. Port Chop caused us some problems. "Green Nurse" (young, inexperienced, name is synonomous with a color), could not get the needle in the port. She tried and tried until I was about to pass out. Then she got "No numbing" nurse (remember her?). She demonstrated to Green nurse how to stabilize the port. Apparently, Port Chop is a floater, he moves around a lot. The whole thing was barbaric. Lots of pushing, poking, etc. It wasn't excruciatingly painful but it makes me sick to be poked and prodded like that. At one point, I told both nurses All I need is a stick in my mouth like they used in the Dark Ages, to complete this picture. They didn't think that was funny.
The rest of the day was fairly uneventful. I found a nurse I really liked. She's very "to the point". For example, last time when Pregnant Nurse gave me the steroid in my iv, she said This may cause a little irritation in the rectal area. This time, Favorite Nurse said THIS WILL BURN YOUR BUTT!!! I was really cheered up when the flower shop came to the chemo room and delivered a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Scott.
My sister Linda had her colonoscopy this morning and all was clear! Yeah! 2 more sisters to go, plus my mom.
Thanks for listening. I feel so much better knowing so many people are listening, praying and cheering me on. This is turning out to be a lot harder than I imagined.
Love,
Michele

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michele,

You are doing it! I know that it is tough and it is the LAST thing in this world that you want to experience but you are making it!!! I pray for you everyday. Remember, you are never alone! God Night Light based upon your blog: your mother there to help, your sister free and clear, a nurse that helped give you a good laugh, and of course those beautiful flowers you received today!!! Just keep remembering to focus on the lights no matter how tough and dark!!!

Shawna

Anonymous said...

Go Scott. - Amy H

Anonymous said...

Michele,
Scott not only sent you flowers, but he updated your blog yesterday. He is a keeper! Carley and I hope tomorrow finds you in good spirits. I can't function when I have a headache.... so I don't think I could type, think of creative names for my nurses, etc. Donna had a Birthday today and the older we get Birthdays may seem like a colonoscopy (sp?).... ha ha.... I am happy for Linda, I know that is a relief. Keep your chin up and "Port Chop" under control.

Talk to you soon!
Kim and Carley Tisdale

Anonymous said...

Michele,
you are a wonderful person, Scotts not so bad his self, sounds like he is scoring some points lately. Keep it up Scott.
I am glad your sister is free and clear.
I want you to know that prayers are sent up daily for you and yours. If you need me you know where to find me.
hang in there!
Twylia