Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Bust My Bubble

First of all, I am not posting for the sake of complaining. It's more like I'm shaking my head, sighing...
Today, I saw the surgeon for Port Chop's follow-up. Other than a stitch that popped through the skin, it looked fine. I told him the nurses have complained a lot about the port, to which he said Nurses complain about everything. Aargh. I also told him about the intermittent bulging of the veins in my hand and heaviness in my arm, he didn't know about that either. So, I wondered why I even sat there for an hour waiting on him to tell me everything is fine. So then I walked down the hall to schedule my mammogram. There was a communication gap, the secretary thought I wanted it today. Yeah, I'm going to walk in off the street and demand an immediate boob-smashing. Oh, and they said NO to the ultrasound, looks like it will be done the regular ole' way. The secretary said, without even knowing where Port Chop lives, Oh it won't be in the way. THEN she got huffy b/c she wanted me to come next Wednesday and I said Can't do that, I'll be hooked up to the chemo pump. More aaargh. Ok, I'm done venting.
I did think of more ways cancer changes things, I'll pick up where I left off.
6. I can completely rationalize my shopping trips. As in, Sure I can buy that bag of chocolate, I DESERVE it... I really really need that pair of pants to help me get through chemo...I'll be SO comfortable in that outfit...it goes on and on.
7. The kids yell "MOM, CANCER!!!" every time they hear the word cancer on tv.
8. You start to play the mental cancer card game. As in, HEY...You can't cut me off in traffic, I have cancer!!!
9. Hair falling out, brown patches on the skin, lips cracked, and chemo bag strapped on, People will always say "Well, you look good".

I have gotten some of the nicest gifts this week. I got a prayer shawl yesterday from the ladies of Maple United Methodist Church. They put it on the altar and prayed over it and prayed for me. It is beautiful. I'm getting my hair cut Friday, so I'll post a pic of me with the shawl. I love wearing it. My Aunt Wanda made me another hat and a scarf hat, which is really great. Last night, I went to see a little boy for speech. His family is so nice and they have always been grateful for how I have helped him. The mom gave me a gift. I opened it and it was a Willow Tree. She said It's the Healing Angel. I thought, How sweet, she thinks I am healing her son. Then I realized OH, it's for my own healing. Now, that was a classic foggy moment.

Gotta go. Emily needs me. Her new phrase is "I hate to bust your bubble". She says it anytime she wants something.
Keep in touch.
Love,
Michele;

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle,

I'm just wondering, but do you really have to have the mammogram right now or is this just something your gyno wants you to do because it's what your supposed to do at our age? It seems like they could give you a bit of a break on that stuff, especially the nurse who was kinda gruff with you. Don't worry about venting, cause I think I would have told them where to stick it- but that's just me! The fall girls picture is sweet.

Becky Wichern

Anonymous said...

Michele,
They say the Drs. are the worst patients. They probably don't realize how bad the medical field treats people until they are in that position. I think I would remind them of the customer is boss rule when deciding on the ultra sound vs the smashing mammo. I hope I never have to deal with the trials and tribulations you are going through. But, If I did, I hope I would be blessed with the prayer warriors, dear friends and family you have.

I hope "Port Chop" gets itself under control.

Kim Tisdale

Anonymous said...

Michele,

I think you should tell the doctor who wants the mammogram - "Um - I hate to bust your bubble, but - SHOVE IT!" I still say you shouldn't have to do the mamo right now unless there is a REALLY good reason to. Seriously - it's just one more thing to irritate & frustrate on so many levels. On the other hand - my friend Traci told me a great quote the other day - maybe it will be helpful. "you can't be persuasive if you are being abrasive" - Maybe that means kill them with kindness? "Excuse me doctor - can you be so kind as to not put me through anything else? I know you are just looking out for my best interest, but I'm asking you kindly to back off before I choke you!?! Oh - and Have a nice day"

:) HA

Pam A.

Anonymous said...

I just caught up on your blog. I love the picture of you and the girls! I am so proud how well you are handling this. I know it may not help all the time but I just keep thinking...five months and it will be over with. Next fall you will be mostly back to normal (physically) and you can move past this. You only have to deal with this through three seasons. You are an inspiration to everyone. God is using you to show how you can perservier(sp?)through difficult times. Laughter really is the best medicine. Tell the girls I said hi.
Love,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Prayers going up for tomorrow and the best week possible. Amy H