Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Brittney Breakdown

Ok, just so you know, if this blog entry doesn't make sense, it's b/c I'm half-crazed and hormonal this week. To say I've had a bad week would be like saying Brittney Spears has been a little stressed lately. If you get grossed out easily, just log off. Otherwise, I'll tell you I have had a never-ending, out of control period for 12 days and a nosebleed that lasted 3 days. FUN. So I insist on seeing Dr. Lilly yesterday and he says it's completely normal, let's just give you IV estrogen for 3 days and by the way one dose is the equivalent of swallowing 30 pills. I got it in my head this wasn't what I wanted. So I call my gyno, who I've seen for 12 years, trust completely and owe a debt of gratitude for helping us to conceive Emily and then saving her life at birth, sorry, I digress... Anyway, Gyno recommends SURGERY, just come in Friday afternoon for a 2 procedure surgery and we'll cure ya' right up. ARE YOU KIDDING??? Suddenly, IV estrogen looks like a piece of cake. In between all of this, I have everyone's opinions flying around- mine, Scott's, friends on Colon Club, and 2 doctors with very opposing views. So I pretty much had a Brittney Spears breakdown today, which consisted, in part, of throwing objects, slamming doors and hitting a 7 on the tear scale. Only instead of hauling me to the psych ward, I hauled myself to the Cancer Center and got an IV dose of estrogen, which is much easier than having surgery. I should thank all my supporters, including Scott, who gently told me last night that perhaps I should consider an Ativan and Kasey who has witnessed the whole thing and so far hasn't been scared off by my behavior. Also, Kevin (vman) who didn't even ask q's, just sent me the most beautiful prayer he wrote just for me, which resulted in a 3 on the tear scale.
So that has been my week. I am exhausted. I have 2 hours to sleep before Emily comes home. I'm going to bed.
Love,
Michele;

6 comments:

Kasey said...

Michele you would have to do a lot more than slam a few doors and throw a couple of things to scare me off. I'm in it for the long haul. As long as you guys need me I'll be there. I had no idea what was going on. I'm so sorry. Hope things get better. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

It's OK!! I know it is tough and frustrating to not get a straight answer (as well as same answer) or opinion from the medical field but just remember you are your ultimate decision maker and don't just assume the answer they give you is the best choice. First and foremost, you hear your options, you do your own research, ALWAYS go with your instincts and your heart!!!! I do hear you on the frustration though!! It will get better. I have discovered through my journey one positive thing - because of my history, you are given more attention, a THOROUGH examination every time, extra tests and checkups to be on the 'safe' side. All in all, I am thankful for this because I know that I am always one of the most "checked" patients in my age group!!! So will you be. I hope this makes sense. Just keep up the positive and let out the negative when you need to and never hesitate to question the dr. It is OK too!!!!!

Blessings - Shawna

Anonymous said...

DEAR MICHELE,

I AM SO SORRY YOU ARE GOING THROUGH ALL THIS. I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY WANTED YOU TO HAVE SURGERY IN THE MIDDLE OF ALL THIS! I PRAY FOR YOU EVERYDAY. BY THE WAY, I THINK LOSING IT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE IS GOOD FOR YOUR MENTAL STATUS. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!
LOVE,
AMY HAERTLING

Unknown said...

Hey girl, it is definately ok to have some hormonal moments--I have been having a few myself and I don't even have any hormones anymore!!! I had round 4 today, it is making me a lot more fatigued than the others, plus extreme nerve pain and numbness. Anyway I hope you are feeling better by now. Let me know how things are going if you get a moment! Once again I will pray for you tonight for healing! Hang in there!

Sandy

Anonymous said...

Praying for you. Laughing with you. Even being frustrated with you. I am constantly amazed at the way you take something so "not funny" and make it hilarious! Counting down the days with you too.... Hang in, Amy H

Anonymous said...

Michele,
Reading your blog brings out so many emotions in me. One minutes I'm laughing, the next I'm crying and then I frustrated with the medical profession. Your ability to relate everything you are going through with other things in life (such as Brittney's breakdown) truly amazes me. I check in often to see how things are going and pray for you everyday. God bless,

Kim