Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Megan, the Card Shark

Hello! Just wanted to say I'm ok. After I posted Friday morning, I told my mom I just didn't feel right. I hadn't been eating or drinking enough so I went up and got iv fluids. It was really hard to sit there this time b/c there was a teenager there and she was so sick. She looked so bad and they weren't going to let her go home, they were admitting her. I have been thinking about that girl all week, praying for her and wondering how she is. It made me so sad. At least I have lived half my life already, I am grateful for that.
I am getting my hair cut on Thursday. I don't know what it will end up looking like but anything is an improvement! I would love to know who voted for the mullet...
Since I started wearing "shandannas" (I'll explain that in a minute), I have started to get the "look" from strangers. Since it's obvious I still have some hair, the question on their face appears to be "does she or doesn't she". Today when I went to vote, the lady working the desk kept staring at me, it was so awkward, my neighbor was there working too and she and I talked for awhile and this lady just kept staring at me. I hope my neighbor answered the question for her. Anyway, let me tell you about my shandannas. We know a lady that makes them for her daughter, that's how they got their name. They are custom-made and have a ponytail holder in the back for elastic. They are awesome. I don't have to tie them, they are already tied and sewn together, ready to wear. I have 2 that she gave me as a gift and tonight I ordered 3 more.
One more thing, you won't believe what Megan did. She came home last week and said she played the cancer card at school. Apparently she gave a friend a bendy pencil and then she wanted it back so she told her "my mom has cancer, my sister has sensory problems and I really need that pencil back". I was horrified! Not only did she play the cancer card, she also played the "special needs" card!!! So we had to have a chat about playing cards, in other words- leave the deck of cards at home! By the way, she did get the pencil back and brought it home for Emily to put in her sensory bucket.
Ok, this is getting lengthy...guess I'll go watch the election results with Scott, he is glued to the tv.
Keep in touch, I love all your comments.
Michele;

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK - Tell Megan to play her cards - just play them wisely! She surely puts up with enough dealing with the deck she's got - there needs to be some perks! :) - Amy H

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele, you don't know me but I have been reading your blog for some time now. I can't even remember how I came across it. Anyway, I am a survivor of Stage 3 colorectal cancer. I had my final chemo treatment back in August. From that time on my hair had gotten progressively thinner, very wispy and felt like straw. I eventually made the decision to just cut it all off at the beginning of the year. Fortunately for me, new hair had started growing in and was probably about an inch long so I had my hairdresser just cut it all to that length. It wasn't like shaving myself bald but it was a VERY SHORT haircut, especially for me. Was it a haircut I would have picked if given the choice? Nope. But it did make me feel a lot better overall. I just couldn't do anything with it anymore. Now, it's so easy and most people think I just got a sassy, short haircut. So I say, go for it! It's hair, it grows back. That's just my opinion though. You do whatever you feel like doing. Thanks for the look into your life. I enjoy reading your updates. I hope things continue to go as well as they possibly can for you. By the way, if you are ever looking for another story similar to yours to read, I have a CarePage (ChristyH2006). I haven't been as good about updating lately because there isn't much going on thankfully!

Thinking of you and praying for you often,
Christy Harrell

vman1300 said...

Nope, wasnt me that voted on the mullet...wait, I was on chemo that day, lol. Who knows what I did.

I am simply amazed at the strength you have on a day to day basis. With so many treatments down and the end of chemo in sight, you are moving forward. I hope and pray the I can do the same.

It is such a blessing that our paths have crossed, I know that God arranged that.

Praying for you and your family daily.

Believe,

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele,
Megan the card Shark, ummm, if we all admit it we all play our cards at one time or another.
Some of us just don't admit it, it has taken her this long to play a card, not bad.
Soon you will look back on all of this and laugh even more.
love ya
twylia

Anonymous said...

As far as your hair, do whatever feels right to you, Scott will love you no matter what.
P.S. not to be stupid but whats a mullet?
twylia

Unknown said...

Hi Michele, please tell me where to get the shandanna's (did I spell that right)? I just got back from my new chemo treatment. So far so good. Anyway I got a script for a wig since our insurance pays for one and the American Cancer Society also will give you a free wig. My onc and I think I have lost about 50% of my hair, although most people don't notice it. The new drug will probably cause the rest of it to fall out in the next 3-4 weeks though. I hope you continue to feel better and just think, only 2 more!!!! You can do it! Call me sometime and we can maybe arrange a day for lunch again. Take care

Sandy :)