Friday, February 1, 2008

Grandma Dorothy

I love snow days! What more could I ask for than to spend it with my mom and the girls? My mom has helped me out so much this week, we would not have survived without her. It has been crazy. Yesterday, Grandma Dorothy passed away. We knew it was coming, she has been in the Lutheran Home for 4 years with Alzheimers. She is in such a better place now, we are kinda rejoicing for her that she no longer has to spend her days in a nursing home. Even though technically, she is Scott's grandma, she was just as much MY grandma. I loved her more than I could even say. I never had the chance to have a grandma around when I was growing up, so she was my chance to experience having a grandma. I have so many great memories of her, she was such a fun person to be around and she left me with quite a few stories to chuckle over. She always loved rocking Megan when Megan was a baby and without fail would always put her diapers on backwards. We always knew when Grandma had changed the diaper. I know that when I think of her, I don't think about the last 4 years. I think of how funny she was and just how much FUN she was. The funeral is Monday morning at St. Vincent's then, at her request, she is being taken to California, MO (up by Jeff City) to be buried. Emily and I are going to stay home, but everyone else is going. Right now I am trying to find someone who can watch Emily during the visitation on Sunday, it is the SuperBowl so most people are probably busy, I do not plan on taking Emily to the funeral home, she is just too young for that.
Anyway, I am feeling good, just really tired. Oh and I can't feel my feet. Completely numb. I hope it eventually comes back, I can't imagine doing the Chemo shuffle the rest of my life!
Keep in touch,
Michele;

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The part about the diapers will always be my favorite memory of her.I hate to say it,but I am a little excited about the trip to California!
Luv,
Megs

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It is difficult to be sorry for your loss but happy that Dorothy isn't suffering any longer. A celebration of her life is a nice gesture and she would like that so much.
Linda

Anonymous said...

SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS! SHE IS DEFINITELY IN A BETTER PLACE AND IS FREE OF PAIN AND SUFFERING AND MEMORY LOSS! AS YOU KNOW, MY FATHER N LAW PASSED AWAY IN JUNE AND HAD ALZHEIMER'S. GLAD YOU ARE FEELING OKAY BESIDES THE NUMB FEET, THAT HAS TO FEEL WEIRD?

TAKE CARE,

AMY HAERTLING

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your loss, but I know that where she is now is sooo awesome. She's with Jesus..what more could you ask for? Super bowl won't be the same without a party somewhere. Promise that next year when you're 100%, we'll have a big bash, somewhere!!!

Becky W.

vman1300 said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. Keep he faith and keep fighting.

Believe,

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Michele,
We are sorry for your loss. Carley and I lost our Nana 5-yrs ago. She suffered from Alzheimers (sp?) for many years. We are glad you are felling better, sans, the numb feet.....can't imagine how weird that is. We will be thinking of your family tomorrow and Monday.

Kim and Carley

Anonymous said...

Our lives our way to similar lately. to many things have happened at the same time or close.
I consider you my soul sister now.
the summer, school and now this, grandmas etc,\
call me if you need me.
Meg ,
Don't feel bad about being excited over the trip to California, heck Paul and Brooke where excited over a trip to Kansas.
Make the best of it, and yes its ok to have some fun to.
Love ya
Twylia