Wednesday, September 12, 2007

There's nothing normal about this...

We continue to try to adjust to our "new normal". That's what cancer patients call their new life. Some days are better than others. Scott deals with things differently than I do because a) he is a man and b)because he is the spouse, not the patient. The kids are doing great though. They are slowly getting their minds on other things. For example, Megan told me tonight, and this is a quote, I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried, "Mom, I think I have a pretty good idea what your reproductive organs look like". This stopped me in my tracks. I couldn't even utter a "why", of course that wasn't necessary b/c she was more than happy to tell me. She said "I bet they are old and dusty and full of cobwebs and spiders b/c you haven't had a baby in so long". How could I respond to that!
Emily spends her days talking about animals. Today her preschool went to the fair. She came home off the bus with an imaginary pig she got at the fair. She was carrying it on an imaginary leash. It was a boy and it was pink. I gushed over him, oh he's so cute and well-behaved, etc. She walked it around for a long time. About this time, I noticed she had snuck some toys to school in her pocket, which is against the rules. So I reprimanded her. She said Mom, why are you mad about taking the toys to school but you don't mind me bringing home a pig. Again, how do I respond...
Anyway, about me. I feel great! I continue to have weird changes in my food likes and dislikes. You probably know, I'm not a big meat eater but I can't stop craving pulled pork. I eat it whenever I can. It's crazy! And of course, I think about bread all the time. I drove by Rhodes last week and I swear the sign said "Now Hiring Croissants". I drove back by and they had changed it to "hiring overnights". I'm sure this isn't related to the fuzzy thoughts I've been having...
Ok, direct your prayers this way: I will have minimal pain with the surgery, chemo will go well and the exterminator will come and rid my organs of spiders...just kidding.
Talk later,
Michele

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sending you good thoughts and prayers today! Let me know how the surgery goes! We have kids so they can keep us on our toes and our minds alert. I can't stop laughing...

Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Great work.